Wednesday 26 August 2009

Sunrise Off-Grid Festival

I've just come back (sort-of) from the Sunrise Off-Grid Festival. It was great! You can find some pics here or below...



It's a small festie (about 1000 people or so, I'd guess) in a field outside Shepton Mallett. The nice thing about being so small is that you get to recognise the same faces around and about, there isn't an "us and them" feel with ugly security bods checking your armband all the time, and the one or two lunchouts who drink too much get politely reminded not to spoil it for everyone else.

My feeling is that small, local, and theme-focused is the way to go. The whole thing was run on solar and wind (I only heard one very quiet generator). There was plenty of space for kids to fly kites and play and dogs too!

I worked my ticket as a steward/litter-picker which essentially meant I had nothing to do, as there wasn't any litter. I spent most of my time helping people out and sorting tangled kite-strings :)

No comments:

Post a Comment