Wednesday 12 August 2009

So how can I afford to take two months off?

I found this amazing website and forum:

Wild About Britain

"Wild About Britain is home to hundreds of thousands of pages about British wildlife, the Environment and the Great Outdoors; from birds, butterflies, fungi and trees to climate change, marine life, astronomy and the weather. We're also a huge online community with 30,000 members and more than 2.5 million unique visitors a year."

Good stuff!




If anyone's reading this, I suppose they're wondering how it is that I can afford to spend two months hitchhiking about without working. It's not too hard if you know how, and don't have any commitments. I have no commitments that can't handle a 10 week absence.

I've just moved as my old landlady wanted the house back - and I didn't want to stay there anyway, as she's a bit strange at times. People sometimes act selfishly when they own property (I call it The Propertarian Mindset), but she's a bit further out than that.

Anyway, I moved at the beginning of the month and knew very quickly that it wasn't going to work out, but I was in the middle of a (English to Danish) translation that was taking far longer than I'd expected. The good thing was that I'd just been paid handsomely for another translation I'd done a few weeks ago. Either I'd spend it on rent for somewhere I didn't want to live, or just go on the road for a bit.

I told the people who take care of things in this, my temporary abode, how things were and they didn't mind if I left in the middle of the month, which is what I'm doing.

Would you do a thing like that? It's funny but I don't consider it a hard thing to do: if you've got the gear and the mindset for it, and are reasonably fit, it's quite comfortable. The key is to take your time. Just forget about being busy or trying to achieve something and slow down a bit. Wisdom can be like a wild animal: if you charge around trying to find it, you'll scare it away and, more crucially, your eyes will miss the signs of its presence. If you just sit down and enjoy where you are, which is what happens to me when I'm hitchhiking, you'll find it easier to let go and tread lightly around your mind. Heavy thoughts have ruined more journeys then heavy rucsacks.

No comments:

Post a Comment