Thursday 28 May 2015

I don’t want this for my children [reblog]


http://littleeandbean.com/me/i-dont-want-this-for-my-children/


In the days following the election result a host of articles were written in defence of our new government and its plans for continued austerity. Each time I read one it felt like a kick in the guts. But contrary to popular opinion, my upset wasn’t sour grapes at ‘losing’ the election. It wasn’t even frustration that privileged white men are once again dictating the future of our country. It was about being frightened. I’m frightened because British politics perpetuates a culture of victim blaming that labels the vulnerable as tiresome, dispensable inconveniences. I’m frightened because I understand what it’s like to be vulnerable and to fall from a tiny precipice of financial security. And I’m frightened because after escaping relative poverty once already I’m within touching distance of it again.

with a link to this

No comments:

Post a Comment