Sunday 22 November 2009

CCTV in Glastonbury

...well almost.



[later...]

It appears to be offline right now, so I've changed it from the Town Hall camera to the new Tor one.

I'm no fan of CCTV 'insecurity' cameras. But...since there are more than 4 million CCTV cameras in this country, it's practically speaking impossible for people to be watching all of them. Maybe some are recorded. I've always felt that they were about making people feel unsafe rather than the opposite, their presence being a reminder of a) the street is dangerous! Go home and hide under the covers! and b) if you're even thinking of doing something naughty, our advanced brain-reading imaging software will convict you of thoughtcrime before you've even pulled your hoodie up - if there's anyone watching, which I doubt.

Incidentally, the people who watch the CCTV cameras in Glastonbury (of which we have at least 4 - on the town hall, by the Oxfam shop, outside Labyrinth Books, and across the road from 3 Silver Street, otherwise known as the Robert Barton Trust - let me know if I've missed any 'official' ones) are sworn to secrecy regarding the address of the monitoring station. How hard would it be to find out where it is? Not particularly. The people running the system must be really paranoid.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer the town hall camera simply because more is happening and it feels like I'm at my Mac looking out of a high office window on to the blade running city that Glastonbury is

    ReplyDelete